CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Cam Newton threw for 198 yards and two touchdowns, Carolina’s defense set an NFL record for fewest yards allowed in a postseason game, and the Panthers defeated the Arizona Cardinals 27-16 on Saturday.
It was Carolina’s first playoff win in nine years and Newton’s first playoff victory since entering the league as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft.
Jonathan Stewart ran for 122 yards and a touchdown on a rain-soaked afternoon.
The Panthers held Arizona to 77 yards, intercepted Ryan Lindley twice and sacked him four times. Carolina had 386 yards.
The Panthers (8-8-1) will play at top-seeded Seattle next weekend if Dallas beats Detroit on Sunday. If the Lions win, the Panthers play at Green Bay.
After a 9-1 start, Arizona’s once promising season was undone by a rash of injuries, including to quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton.
(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Vikings Send Super Bowl Confetti To Some Eagles Fans Who Made Donation
- Report: Sixers’ Fultz Received $10,000 From Sports Agent Prior To Attending University Of Washington
- Drexel’s 34-Point Comeback Is Biggest In NCAA History
- Drexel Women Host JMU In Critical CAA Battle
- Bill Simmons: ‘If LeBron Wants To Be GOAT, He Needs To Go To Philly’