By Ian Bush
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Samsung is showing off several new devices that are expected to be released this fall, including a big smartphone that’s likely to see some competition from Apple in the coming days.
Samsung continues to lead the charge for phablets — bigger than a phone, smaller than a tablet — and the Note Edge is no exception, with a 5.7″ screen and a clue to its key feature in its name.
“This is really unlike anything else, where the screen falls off to the edge almost like a waterfall. It’s like the infinity pool of smartphones,” says CNET.com senior editor Brian Tong.
Tong says that curved display offers a side view of the time, weather, and can offer shortcuts — like to the camera or other commonly-used apps.
“They showed off a case that would go on the phone, but still that edge would be viewable and able to show you things like a text message,” Tong says.
No price tag from Samsung, which also announced a version of the Note, the Note 4, with no ‘edge’ display, as well as the Gear S smartwatch. It has a conspicuous 2” curved screen; the device doesn’t need to be paired with a smartphone to take calls or send email.
Apple is rumored to have a bigger phone in the works.
Will they add some new bells and whistles because it has such a huge screen?
We’ll find out next Tuesday.
You may also be interested in:
- Atlantic City Police Officer Involved In Collision With Another Vehicle
- Liberation Day Luncheon Held In Wynnewood
- Police Officer Sent To Hospital After Crash In North Philadelphia
- Company Creates ‘Touch Tour’ To Provide Up-Close And Personal Tours For The Blind
- Philadelphia Police Release Surveillance Video Of Man Wanted For Attempted Rape