Burlington County Mom Indicted After Driving Minivan, With 3 Kids Inside, Into River
FLORENCE TOWNSHIP, NJ (CBS) – The Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office has announce a Florence mother has been indicted on attempted murder charges after she drove a minivan, with her three children inside, into the Delaware River earlier this year.
Fifty-year-old Joann Smith was indicted on three counts of attempted murder and three counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
An investigation revealed that Smith was driving on West Front Street in Florence on April 15, with her three children, ages 13, 14 and 15, when she drove onto a boat ramp and into the water. Smith allegedly accelerated the van as it approached the river and headed directly into the water.
A man nearby helped Smith and her children escape from the minivan and safely guided them back to the shoreline. One of her children suffered cuts to the leg.
Smith’s arraignment will be scheduled soon and her bail was set at $600,000 following her arrest.
She is currently undergoing evaluation at Ann Klein Forensic Center in Ewing, New Jersey.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Community Cancellations: Wednesday, March 4th
- Camden County Police Department Mentioned In Federal Report
- Borgata Casino Plans Outdoor Concert Hall, New Nightclub
- PennDOT Crews Prepare For Latest Round Of Winter Weather
- Police Continue To Investigate Series Of Reported Attempted Child Lurings In Berks County