WILLINGBORO, N.J., (CBS) — Willingboro’s town council reversed course on renaming a well-known building after President Barack Obama.
The crowd at Tuesday night’s council meeting voiced opposition to renaming the John F. Kennedy Center for President Obama.
The council voted unanimously to shelve the matter, meaning the name on the building stays the same.
The building used to be a high school, but in recent years has operated as a community center.
“I am an alumni of John F. Kennedy High School. There’s a lot of history here in Willingboro as it pertains to John F. Kennedy. He visited this great city. We have the John F. Kennedy Center, we have Kennedy Way. I was not for changing the name,” Yvonne Stepney said.
The center is currently undergoing a renovation.
Must Read Today’s Top Stories
- Suspected Gunman In Maryland, Delaware Shootings Taken Into Custody
- Police: Teen Boy Dies After Being Shot In Head, Chest
- Does Philly’s Overhauled Child Welfare System Make The Grade?
- Viral #MeToo Movement Has Philadelphia Roots
- Christie On FDA Law Controversy: ‘Looks To Me Like The Fix Was In’