Willingboro Council Abandons Rec Center Name Change
WILLINGBORO, N.J., (CBS) — Willingboro’s town council reversed course on renaming a well-known building after President Barack Obama.
The crowd at Tuesday night’s council meeting voiced opposition to renaming the John F. Kennedy Center for President Obama.
The council voted unanimously to shelve the matter, meaning the name on the building stays the same.
The building used to be a high school, but in recent years has operated as a community center.
“I am an alumni of John F. Kennedy High School. There’s a lot of history here in Willingboro as it pertains to John F. Kennedy. He visited this great city. We have the John F. Kennedy Center, we have Kennedy Way. I was not for changing the name,” Yvonne Stepney said.
The center is currently undergoing a renovation.
Must Read Today’s Top Stories
- Local Artist Known As ‘The Painter Of Presidents’ Has Died
- Vietnam War Fighter Jet Now On Display In Montgomery County
- Shields Leads Padres Past Phillies 9-4
- Off-Duty Philadelphia Police Officer Killed In Hit & Run Identified
- Local Boy Chases Donations For Friend’s Sister With Cancer