SEAFORD, Del. (CBS) – Police in Delaware are investigating after they say a man impersonated a police officer and pulled over a female driver.
The incident occurred on Monday, September 1 on Coverdale Road.
The female driver says she began to notice the male following her and a short time later he activated emergency police style lights on the front of his vehicle and pulled her over.
The suspect then exited his vehicle and approached the woman while wearing a handgun in a holster on his hip and a radio.
The male asked the driver about her “erratic driving” and when she became suspicious of his mannerisms she told him she was going to call 911.
The suspect immediately went back into his vehicle and fled northbound on Coverdale Road.
He is described as a light skinned black male and he was operating a large four door sedan.
The incident remains under investigation.
Delaware State Police offered the following tips if you believe you are being contacted by a police impersonator:
– Put on your flashers, drive the speed limit and call 911 from your cell phone. Tell the 911 dispatcher that you are concerned. If you do not have a cell phone, drive to a well-lit, busy area, such as the parking lot of a busy store.
– Do not stop your vehicle or get out of your vehicle until a dispatcher can confirm you are being pulled over by a legitimate police officer.
-If the dispatcher cannot confirm that you are being pulled over by a police officer, stay on the line with the dispatcher. Drive carefully to a safe place, such as a local police department.
-If you are issued documents that may be suspicious, contact the issuing agency about their legitimacy.
– Report anything suspicious.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Troop 5 at 302-337-1090 or by utilizing the Delaware State Police Mobile Crime Tip Application available to download at: http://www.delaware.gov/apps/. Information may also be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333, via the internet at www.tipsubmit.com, or by sending an anonymous tip by text to 274637 (CRIMES) using the keyword “DSP.”
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Little Girl Has Tea Party With Officer Who Saved Her Life
- ‘That’s My Man’: FLOTUS Tweets At POTUS After DNC Speech
- How Uber Punishes Drivers Who Refuse To Use UberPool
- Pitbull Rescued From Mike Vick Dog-Fighting Ring Spends Day Snuggling Kittens
- Disney-Owned Film Studio Claims Responsibility For Harrison Ford’s Broken Leg