NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Officials say a man was struck and killed by a train on New Jersey Transit’s North Jersey Coast Line route near Matawan.
NJ Transit spokesman William Smith says it appears that the man was hit after he stepped in front of a New York-bound train around 5:30 a.m. Monday, near the Aberdeen-Matawan station.
Smith says 50 people were aboard the train, but no injuries were reported. The name of the man killed has not been disclosed.
Train service was suspended for several hours in both directions between the Long Branch and Avenel stations following the accident. During that time, NJ Transit used buses to transport riders around the disabled stations.
All service was restored by late Monday morning.
Smith says the accident is under investigation.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Brotherly Love: Teaching Kids To Be Fearless
- 2 Children, Firefighter Hospitalized After Fire In Torresdale
- Sources: Officials Investigating Death Of Father Of Former Trump National Security Adviser
- Regulators To Require Inspections After Southwest Jet Engine Explosion
- Cosby’s Star Witness Says Accuser Spoke Of Plot To Frame