NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Officials say a man was struck and killed by a train on New Jersey Transit’s North Jersey Coast Line route near Matawan.
NJ Transit spokesman William Smith says it appears that the man was hit after he stepped in front of a New York-bound train around 5:30 a.m. Monday, near the Aberdeen-Matawan station.
Smith says 50 people were aboard the train, but no injuries were reported. The name of the man killed has not been disclosed.
Train service was suspended for several hours in both directions between the Long Branch and Avenel stations following the accident. During that time, NJ Transit used buses to transport riders around the disabled stations.
All service was restored by late Monday morning.
Smith says the accident is under investigation.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Other Stories:
- West Philly Man Is Sentenced For Shooting Police Officer In 2015
- Girl Born With HIV Virtually Virus-Free After Stopping AIDS Drugs Over 8 Years Ago
- Landmark Diner In Delaware County Is Damaged After Early Morning Fire
- Woman On Mission To Train 1 Million Women How To Shoot A Firearm
- Jefferson Health, Independence Blue Cross Sign 5-Year Agreement