By David Madden
SWARTHMORE, Pa. (CBS) –– It’s been debated for 15 years and this week construction began on the first part of a project that will change the face of Swarthmore by helping the business district and the college that bears its name.
The Town Center West project has been studied, debated, even battled in court. This week, work began on a roundabout in town that Swarthmore College Capital Planning and Construction Director Janet Semler says will lead to the main piece of the project.
“We intend to break ground on the building before the end of this calendar year if all goes well. Our plan is for the new Inn, restaurant and campus and community store to open late spring of 2016.”
The 40 room Swarthmore Inn will serve liquor to guests and diners, as well as at catered events.
The rest of the borough is dry and some residents fought hard to try to keep it that way.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Sisters Of The Blessed Sacrament’s Bensalem Motherhouse Up For Sale
- Company Expands Initial Frozen Vegetable Recall To Include Walmart Brand
- Travelers Are In Luck, Lowest Airfares In 7 Years To Hit This Summer
- Harvard Researchers Say Philly Soda Tax Could Save $197 Million
- Secretary Of Homeland Security Makes Pitch For Reinstating City Cooperation On Immigration