Montco DA’s Office Acquires High Tech Tool To Help Protect Crime Fighting Officers
By Brad Segall
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office now has a high tech tool in its crime fighting arsenal designed to save the lives of law enforcement officers across the county.
In a hostage or crisis situation many times police need to assess the situation but don’t want to get too close fearing their safety. WM Robots of Colmar has donated a $100,000 mobile robot to the DA’s office for use by the county’s eight SWAT teams.
DA Risa Ferman says it’s an all-terrain piece of equipment with the capability of capturing audio and video from a crime scene.
“So the robot itself serves as an officer going into that scene, getting eyes and ears on a situation and the live officers can stand back so that they don’t put themselves in harm’s way but they can actually see what’s happening.”
All too often she says it’s the criminals who are well equipped with technology. This robot she says will allow them to get ahead of them or at least stay on par.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Survey: Motorists Doing More Than Texting While Driving
- Montco Emergency Crews Practice Drills In Case Train Derailment Causes Oil Spill
- Council Hungry For Alternatives to Mayor’s Proposed Property Tax Hike
- Ringleader, 20 Others Indicted For Stealing $90K From Atlantic City Casino Banks
- Soldier From Philadelphia Killed In Korean War Whose Remains Were Recently ID’d To Be Honored