By Cherri Gregg
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A Southwest Philadelphia Church is holding a celebration today for the children displaced following last month’s deadly fire on Gesner Street in Southwest Philadelphia.
Reverend Napoleon Devine is pastor of Christ International Baptist Church located on the corner of 65th and Gesner. He says parishners have worked to collect backpacks, notebooks, pens, crayons and other supplies for the dozen children displaced by the fire that claimed the lives of four young children.
“Our goal is to make sure that those families that lost their possessions will at least be able to have their kids return to school with some of the essentials that they will need.’
Devine says the church is throwing a barbeque for the kids today at 4 p.m., where they will present the backpacks. He says they are also collecting donations for other essentials, like school uniforms and shoes.
“We pledged our support for them and we really want to keep that pledge.”
The event will be held at 2210 South 65th Street.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Father, Pregnant Daughter Shot In Southwest Philadelphia
- 1 Killed, 1 Critically Injured After Hit-And-Run In Southwest Philadelphia
- Michigan Quadruplets Celebrate Graduating Top In Class
- Police: 2 Men In Custody After Attempted Armed Robbery In Southwest Philadelphia
- Lava Gushes Into Sea And Spews New Danger In Hawaii