By Tony Hanson
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Opening statements were scheduled for Monday morning in the trial of a 21-year-old woman charged with kidnapping a kindergartener from her West Philadelphia school and then sexually abusing her.
Authorities say in January of last year, Christina Regusters, covered up by Muslim garb, posed as the victim’s mother to get her out of school, and then allegedly sexually and physically assaulted the little girl.
During a pre-trial hearing, last week, the prosecutor said that the injuries caused to the young victim were so severe that she required reconstructive surgery.
The prosecutor also disclosed an examination of the defendant’s computer turned up searches on purchasing Muslim clothing, as well as searches on what evidence can be recovered after rape, and the destruction of DNA evidence.
Regusters has pleaded not guilty. There’s a gag order, but her attorney Fred Harrison Junior has said previously that this is a case of mistaken identity — and claimed others were involved.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- New Jersey Transit Train Passenger Arrested After Threat
- Delegates Warn Of Trump Win If Sanders Supporters Don’t Vote Hillary
- Bill Clinton Will Make The Case For His Wife On Day 2 Of DNC
- Nurse Accused Of Stabbing Autistic Boy With Needle 6 Times
- Susan Sarandon Waits To Be Convinced To Back Hillary Clinton