By Tony Hanson
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Opening statements were scheduled for Monday morning in the trial of a 21-year-old woman charged with kidnapping a kindergartener from her West Philadelphia school and then sexually abusing her.
Authorities say in January of last year, Christina Regusters, covered up by Muslim garb, posed as the victim’s mother to get her out of school, and then allegedly sexually and physically assaulted the little girl.
During a pre-trial hearing, last week, the prosecutor said that the injuries caused to the young victim were so severe that she required reconstructive surgery.
The prosecutor also disclosed an examination of the defendant’s computer turned up searches on purchasing Muslim clothing, as well as searches on what evidence can be recovered after rape, and the destruction of DNA evidence.
Regusters has pleaded not guilty. There’s a gag order, but her attorney Fred Harrison Junior has said previously that this is a case of mistaken identity — and claimed others were involved.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Cherry Hill Graduate Among Sailors Missing Following USS John McCain Collision
- Get Paid With More Vacation Time Or A Raise? New Study May Surprise You
- Powerball Jackpot Climbs To $700 Million, Second-Largest In US History
- Couple Names Daughter ‘Eclipse’ After Being Born During Celestial Event
- Police Seize 5,000 Trump-Shaped Ecstasy Pills