PHILADELPHIA (CBS/AP) — The city of Philadelphia is planning a welcome home ceremony for the Taney Dragons Little League baseball team.
Mayor Michael Nutter says the event will take place when the team arrives at about noon Sunday at Love Park in Philadelphia.
The event culminates a run that captivated the region. Taney was a team of firsts. The first Philadelphia team to make the Little League World Series, Mo’ne Davis was the first female pitcher to win a game in the Series, and the very first Little Leaguer to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated.
As the team returns, Deputy Mayor Everett Gillison says they will get quite a ride.
“When they come down into the (Turnpike),” he says, “they’re going to have a police escort from just north of Conshohocken all of the way in and right here to Love Park.”
Gillison says the “Taney 12” will also get a surprise, which will be announced by Mayor Nutter.
The Taney Dragons competed in the 2014 Little League World Series in Williamsport. They were also the 2014 Mid-Atlantic Little League champions.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
You may also be interested in these stories:
- CBS 3 Gets Rare Access Into Life-Saving 21-Day Flight Attendant Training Program
- Police: 72-Year-Old Woman Found Bound In Closet 4 Days After Being Assaulted, Robbed
- Bucks County Nurse Accused Of Secretly Videotaping Patients
- Dachshund Found In Trash Bag Gets New Wheels
- GOP-Sponsored Bill Blocks Over $1 Billion In Funding To Pennsylvania Sanctuary Cities