By Hadas Kuznits
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Children who might not otherwise be able to afford new school supplies were given a backpack full of goodies to get them ready for the year.
Joe Messa of Messa & Associates Law Firm hosted the second annual Back to School Bash Backpack Giveaway in Frankford.
“Well they come, they get school supplies for the year, they get a bookbag and they get supplies to go in the bookbag to take with them,” he said, “but we also try to put on a day of fun for them.”
Why does he do it?
“Well, I think it’s important if you do well to do good, and I was born and raised in Germantown, I’m a kid from the city, and I was able to go to school and be successful to some extent, and I think it’s important to give back to the community,” he explained.
Parent Nashid Edwards attended the event here at the Boys and Girls Club in Frankford. He says he’s thankful his children were able to receive the free school supplies.
“Because you don’t want to be the child showing up with last year’s stuff,” he said. “It gives the children an opportunity of being prideful of their stuff.”
- Police Arrest Suspect In Union League Theft
- New American Citizens Celebrate First Time Voting
- Police Continue Search For Boyd’s, Union League Suspects
- Sevyn Streeter Claims Sixers Deny Her Anthem Performance Due To Her ‘We Matter’ Shirt
- Haverford Headmaster Returning To Work After Assault Charge Is Dropped