New Jersey Priest Accused Of Sexual Contact
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — The Trenton Diocese has suspended a priest after he was accused of having sexual contact with a teenage boy.
Authorities arrested the Rev. Romannilo Apura at his residence at St. Martha Parish in Point Pleasant on Thursday.
The Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office has accused the 67-year-old of masturbating the boy in a home in Trenton earlier this year and trying to remove the boy’s pants in June.
Apura is held on $100,000 bail, charged with aggravated criminal sexual contact and attempting to commit criminal sexual contact.
The Diocese of Trenton reported the allegations and Bishop David O’Connell has prohibited Apura from celebrating Mass publicly and representing himself as a priest.
Apura has served as pastor at St. Martha’s since 2012.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Must Read Today’s Top Talkers:
- Pa. State Police: 13 Dead, 247 Injured In Memorial Day Weekend Crashes
- Suspects Wanted For Multiple Armed Robberies, Mostly Targeting Temple Students
- Popular Clothing Chain Under Fire For Controversial Flag T-shirt
- NJ Man Diagnosed With Lassa Fever Dies After Trip To Liberia
- Graduation Spending At 10-Year High