PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia sports fans, we have a conundrum on our hands.
The Eagles host the Steelers at 7:30pm E.T. at Lincoln Financial Field tonight and the Taney Dragons face Chicago, Illinois in an elimination game tonight at 7:30pm E.T. (the winner advances to the U.S. Championship game).
Here’s why I’d rather the Taney Dragons:
5. Preseason football is awful
Flag after flag. Commercial after commercial. Backups of backups playing the majority of the game. It’s not a good product. I understand it’s the third preseason game so we get the starters for about two quarters tonight, but we’ll still be watching dialed down play books and conservative calls. After all, the result is meaningless.
People say, ‘But it’s still football!’
I say, ‘Is it?’
4. This could be the Taney Dragons’ final game
This, dare I say, might be it for the Taney Dragons. If they lose to Chicago, that’s it. We’ll never get to see Mo’ne Davis—well until she’s playing point-guard for UCONN—or the Taney Dragons again. The Eagles aren’t going anywhere.
3. And I’m not ready to say goodbye to Eric Lipson
No Eagles player is as fun to watch as Eric Lipson, and I mean no one. That dude is hilarious.
2. You can watch and listen to analysis of preseason football whenever you want
Missed the Eagles preseason game? Big deal. Just tape it and watch it later, or turn on 94WIP and talk about it. Once the Taney Dragons are eliminated, that’s it. They’ll fall off the face of the earth. Soak this story up, it’s way more fun than a hollow preseason football game.
1. Elimination Little League game vs. preseason NFL game
Every pitch is life and death. Emotions are high. Kids are crying, rejoicing, and celebrating. Coaches and players are mic’d up. Win or go home, literally. It’s the purest form of sports.
Third-string special teams players fighting for jobs. Referees practicing flag throwing. Coaching trying new things. Winning is no obligation in pre-season games. Individual play overshadows the team aspect, and ultimately, the game is meaningless.
Having said all that, I’ll be at Lincoln Financial Field tonight for the Eagles game. What? You think I would turn down a free Birds ticket?
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- Malcolm Jenkins Holding Third Annual Blitz, Bow Ties And Bourbon
- Philadelphia Eagles Week 7 Injury Report: Bennie Logan Questionable
- Sixers Release Medical Update: Simmons Recovering, Noel Needs Surgery
- Fantasy Football: Who To Start, Who To Sit For Week 7
- High School Top 10: Imhotep Charter May Be The Best Team In PA