PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Mo’ne Davis, of Center City Philadelphia’s Taney Dragons, has become the first Little Leaguer to be featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
Davis, 13, is the star female pitcher for the Taney Dragons, who became the first urban Philadelphia team to win the PA State Title and also reach the Little League World Series in Williamsport. Davis and the Dragons have won their first two games in the LLWS, and are now one win away from the United States Championship Game.
Related: Mo’ne Davis on 94WIP
During their magical run, Davis has become a viral sensation receiving Tweets from numerous celebrities and a swarm of national media attention. On Friday, Davis became the first girl to throw a complete-game shutout in Little League World Series history, allowing only two hits and striking out eight hitters in a 4-0 Philly win.
Throughout the onslaught of media attention, Davis has shown amazing poise and calmness for anyone, let alone a 13-year-old. She says her dream is to be the point guard on the University of Connecticut’s Women’s basketball team.
Philadelphia’s Taney Dragons (2-0) face Las Vegas, Nevada (2-0) on Wednesday at 7:30pm E.T. The winner advances to the U.S. Championship game on Saturday.
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- Flyers Eliminated From Playoffs After Losing Game 6
- Altherr Hits Walk-off Single In Extra Innings, Phillies Sweep Pirates
- Ukee Washington Inducted Into Delaware Afro-American Sports Hall Of Fame
- Phillies Improve To 8-1 At Home With 6-2 Win Over Pirates
- Sixers Top Heat 106-102, Simmons 1st Rookie To Record Playoff Triple-double Since Magic Johnson