By Tony Hanson
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Jury selection got underway Monday in the trial of a 21-year-old woman and daycare worker charged with brutally, physically and sexually assaulting a 5-year-old girl kidnapped from Bryant Elementary School in Upper Darby in January of 2013.
Defendant Christina Regusters allegedly took the girl from the school by posing as her mother. The little girl was found about four blocks away the next day, shivering and hiding in an Upper Darby playground. Authorities say she had been horrifically abused, permanently injured and scarred. The young victim, now 7, is expected to testify during this trial.
Regusters has pleaded not guilty. There’s a gag order in the case. But her attorney has said this is a case of mistaken identity, and though her DNA was allegedly found on the little girl, defense attorney Fred Harrison Junior noted the young victim attended a daycare center where Regusters worked.
Regusters has been offered a plea deal, and before jury selection began, the judge questioned her about the offer — a guilty plea in exchange for a sentence of 40 to 80 years — and she rejected it.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Father, Daughter Share Special Bond Over Life-Saving Transplant
- Mother Plans To Sue Saudi Arabia After Losing Son On 9/11
- 6-Year-Old, Caught In Hail Of Gunfire, Back Home With Family
- Battle Over Revolutionary War-Era Building Could Go To D.C.
- President Obama Says He Respects Colin Kaepernick’s Rights In Anthem Protest