PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Jerome Williams took a three-hitter into the eighth inning, Andres Blanco hit his first homer in three years, and the Philadelphia Phillies beat the Seattle Mariners 4-1 in an interleague game Monday night.
Making his second start since joining the Phillies, Williams (1-0) allowed one run and three hits in seven-plus innings.
Mariners rookie lefty Roenis Elias (9-10) gave up one run and three hits in four innings. He constantly pitched out of jams because he walked six and hit one batter with a pitch.
Blanco connected for a three-run shot off reliever Dominic Leone in the fifth to give the Phillies a 4-0 lead. It was his first home run since July 1, 2011, for Texas against Florida.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- You Can Now Stream Phillies Games On Your Smartphone Or Tablet
- Philly Native Jordan Morgan Turning NFL Heads
- CBS Sports’ Nantz, Simms, Cowher, Gonzalez Analyze NFL Championships
- Jerry Rice Criticized For Popeyes Commercial
- Welterweight Title Fight Between Keith Thurman And Danny Garcia To Air In Primetime On CBS