PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Nutella-lovers the world over could be in for some bad news concerning their favorite chocolate-hazelnut spread.
According to the Financial Times, a frost in Turkey – the world’s largest producer of hazelnuts – back in April coupled with rising cocoa prices could result in a Nutella shortage.
The price per kilogram in Turkish liras of hazelnuts nearly doubled, skyrocketing to TL23 recently from around TL12 ($5.56) earlier this year.
Meanwhile, output forecasts have been slashed from 800,000 tonnes to 520,000 tonnes.
Though some analysts tell the Financial Times that prices might “ease” later this year, the full extent of the frost damage won’t be known until the end of October.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Police Investigating Possible Arson Attempt After Man Gets Shot While Checking Gas Odor
- Video Captures Apparent Sledgehammer Attack In Port Richmond
- Former Upper Darby Township Employee Accused Of Embezzling Over $200,000
- Man Charged With Dozens Of Sex Crimes Against Multiple Young Children
- Study: 1 In 4 People Have Yet To See Iconic Landmarks In Their Own City