By Dan Wing
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The Taney Dragons will play their second game in this year’s Little League World Series tonight against Pearlman, Texas in Williamsport. And just like on Friday, the team will take the field with plenty of support in the stands, as well as in Philadelphia.
Many fans will be headed out to their local bar to take in the game. Milkboy at 11th and Chestnut will be holding one viewing party with some food and drink specials. Managing partner Bill Hanson says he’s been amazed by the way the team has captivated the city:
“It’s awesome! We have people who have been coming here for three years who I had no idea they know anything about baseball, or sports to begin with, and everyone’s glued to the television. And it’s really electric every time the game’s on, and everybody’s cheering. Everybody’s on it, and in to it.”
And with all the tragedy that Philadelphia has suffered through this summer, Hanson says having a feel good story like the Taney baseball team is just what we needed:
“Everybody gets behind a singular cause like this, just to get excited about it. We know there’s bigger issues in the world than baseball, but it’s awesome to see everybody get behind and be on the same page. Whether it’s for a night, a week, a month, whatever it may be.”
Taney’s Mo’Ne Davis dazzled with a shutout in Friday’s game. While the win was nice, the pitcher in today’s game, Jared Sprague-Lott, has admitted to his coach that he’s a bit nervous about following Davis’ historic effort, especially in front of such a large crowd. Hanson offered him this advice:
“This is the opportunity of a life time that you’re going to look back on, and just cherish it. Embrace it. You prepared hard, you’ve worked hard, you’re ready. So get out there and do it, young man.”
And to Sprague-Lott’s teammates….
“The city’s behind you! We’re ready, we’re routing for you….bring it home!” says Hanson.
Words echoed by a city full of supporters.
Fans can also catch the 7 p.m. game at City Hall, which will be hosting a viewing party in the courtyard.
More information can also be found on the Taney Dragons website.
- Jenkins, Brunson, Lead No. 1 Villanova Past Seton Hall 76-46
- Embiid’s Strong 4th Leads Sixers Over Bucks
- Report: Phillies Agree To Deal With All-Star OF Michael Saunders
- Joel Embiid Responds After Skip Bayless Tweets Cowboys’ QB Outplayed Aaron Rodgers
- Villanova Jumps Kansas, Moves Back To No. 1 In AP Poll
- Steelers Hold Off Chiefs On Boswell’s 6 Field Goals, 18-16
- Price’s Hot Hand Helps La Salle Drop G Washington 79-69
- Packers Beat Cowboys; Advance To NFC Championship
- Jahlil Okafor’s Dad Threatens Blogger
- Brett Brown Donates $2,000 To ‘Bus The Process’ Trip