SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Chase Utley was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the top of the 10th inning to help the Philadelphia Phillies beat the San Francisco Giants 5-3 on Friday night.
Ryan Howard followed with a sacrifice fly against Javier Lopez, and the Phillies snapped a three-game losing streak.
Cody Asche, who doubled off Santiago Casailla (1-3) to open the 10th, hit a two-run homer in the eighth to tie it. It was the first home run allowed by Jeremy Affeldt this season.
Ken Giles (2-0) pitched two scoreless innings for the win. Jonathan Papelbon worked the 10th for his 28th save in 31 chances.
Madison Bumgarner threw seven strong innings for his first quality start at home since June 10, a span of seven games. He allowed one run and four hits, striking out nine without a walk.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Phillies Debut ‘Zoom Food’ To Make Ordering Ballpark Favorites Faster
- Carson Wentz Talks To Teens At Columbia North YMCA
- NJ Students Learn Life Lessons, Basketball Skills At Sixers Academy
- Grant Hill On Final Four: ‘Any One Of These Teams Capable Of Winning’
- Eagles Sign Veteran Cornerback Patrick Robinson To 1-Year Deal