Phillies End Losing Streak With 5-3 Win Over Giants
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Chase Utley was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the top of the 10th inning to help the Philadelphia Phillies beat the San Francisco Giants 5-3 on Friday night.
Ryan Howard followed with a sacrifice fly against Javier Lopez, and the Phillies snapped a three-game losing streak.
Cody Asche, who doubled off Santiago Casailla (1-3) to open the 10th, hit a two-run homer in the eighth to tie it. It was the first home run allowed by Jeremy Affeldt this season.
Ken Giles (2-0) pitched two scoreless innings for the win. Jonathan Papelbon worked the 10th for his 28th save in 31 chances.
Madison Bumgarner threw seven strong innings for his first quality start at home since June 10, a span of seven games. He allowed one run and four hits, striking out nine without a walk.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Phillies Hit 3 Homeruns In 12-2 Win Over Braves
- Eagles CB Brandon Boykin Traded To Steelers
- Once MLB Trade Deadline Dust Settles, Your Fantasy Roster May Need Some Tweaks
- Eagles Sign Former Villanova Running Back, Kevin Monangai
- Rookie Spotlight: Amari Cooper Looks To Bring Life To Oakland Raiders Passing Game