By Jim Melwert
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The Taney Dragons play their little league world series opener today in Williamsport at 3 p.m..
Some family and friends are already there, while others are heading upstate to see the game in person.
Among the over 150 fans on board the buses, Kiara Prescott from Germantown is going up with her sister and great-grandmother to cheer on Taney. She says they love watching Taney star Mo’ne Davis:
“Because girls aren’t supposed to play the same sports as boys, they’re supposed to play softball, so I actually think it’s great that she’s a pitcher on the team.”
Great-grandmother Loraine Terry says she loves that her daughters get to see a girl play on the world stage:
“You can do whatever you want to do. You can’t let anybody stand in your way and they know it.”
The Little League World Series is double elimination, so no matter what happens today, Taney will play another game this weekend — 7 p.m. Saturday if they were to lose, 7 p.m. Sunday if they win.
- ‘Let’s Relax, There’s Kids Involved’: Chester Has Weekend Plunged Into Gun Violence
- Justin Timberlake To Perform At Super Bowl After 14-year Gap
- Some Heavy Hitters In Philadelphia Sports Help Raise Funds For Hurricane Relief
- Thousands Of Law Enforcement Officials Gather For Philadelphia Conference
- PA Senate Returns Amid Latest Budget Quandary
- Center City Real Estate Investor Makes Good On Personal Pledge
- 3 Officers Injured While Performing At Thrill Show In Center City
- Inaugural Science Fair For Adults Takes Over University City Square
- Philadelphia Zoo Hosts ‘Boo At The Zoo’ Halloween Event
- Annual ‘Friends In Pink’ 5K Held In Manayunk