By Jim Melwert
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The Taney Dragons play their little league world series opener today in Williamsport at 3 p.m..
Some family and friends are already there, while others are heading upstate to see the game in person.
Among the over 150 fans on board the buses, Kiara Prescott from Germantown is going up with her sister and great-grandmother to cheer on Taney. She says they love watching Taney star Mo’ne Davis:
“Because girls aren’t supposed to play the same sports as boys, they’re supposed to play softball, so I actually think it’s great that she’s a pitcher on the team.”
Great-grandmother Loraine Terry says she loves that her daughters get to see a girl play on the world stage:
“You can do whatever you want to do. You can’t let anybody stand in your way and they know it.”
The Little League World Series is double elimination, so no matter what happens today, Taney will play another game this weekend — 7 p.m. Saturday if they were to lose, 7 p.m. Sunday if they win.
- WATCH: Pig In Canada Weighs 650 Pounds
- Gov. John Carney Challenges Lawmakers To Make Delaware ‘Better,’ In Inaugural Address
- Dozens Of Jersey Shore Police Officers To Help With Presidential Inauguration
- Woman Receives Life-Saving Kidney From Mother After NJ Senator Intervenes
- Birdwatching Soars In Popularity With Help From Smartphone Apps
- Police: Philly Bar Manager Shot, Killed By Security Guard Following Altercation
- Child Dies In Atlanta Pit Bull Attack
- U.S. Mint Releases Special Philly Marked Penny, Capturing Attention Of Collectors
- Obama Commutes Chelsea Manning’s 35-Year Prison Sentence
- British Man Discovers 4,000-Year-Old Selfie Etched In Stone