By Steve Beck and Cleve Bryan
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (CBS) — Police are investigating what caused a repairman to plunge to his death in an elevator shaft in New Jersey Friday morning.
The Atlantic City Police Department and EMS responded to the New York Avenue apartments around 10 a.m. for an accident in the elevator.
Crews arrived to find the elevator repairman, identified as 25-year-old Brian Jacome, had been killed on the job. Authorities say an officer his brother was with him while the maintenance work was going on.
Jacome had worked for U.S. Elevator. The company’s phone receptionist said they have no comment other than this is a tragedy and their condolences go out to the family.
April Reaves, whose grandmother lives on the 12th floor, says the elevator is frequently out of service.
“She is stuck sometimes because she is too elderly to take the stairs,” says Reaves.
Atlantic City Police say OSHA will be arriving today to conduct an investigation.
Must Read Today’s Top Talkers:
- Some Say Adults Shouldn’t Exchange Christmas Gifts
- Secret Santa Tips Scottsdale Diner Staff $2,000
- Little-Known Philadelphia Ordinance Restricts Number Of Fresh-Cut Christmas Trees In Apartment Buildings, Homes
- Women Bedazzling Eyebrows With Christmas Tree-Like Ornaments In Latest Trend
- Analysts: ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ On Track For $200-Million Opening Weekend