Pole Dancer On Boardwalk Raises Some Eyebrows
OCEAN CITY, Md. (CBS/AP) — A weekend street performance by a pole dancer on the Ocean City Boardwalk is, not surprisingly, getting some attention.
Ocean City officials say they received numerous complaints that the performance by woman in a bikini on a portable stripper pole is inappropriate for the family-friendly boardwalk.
Numerous street performers work the boardwalk for tips. A town ordinance regulating street performers was rescinded in 2012 after a lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union argued the rules were an impermissible restriction on free speech.
Mayor Rick Meehan told CBS Baltimore,“Basically the street performers can go up there as long as they aren’t breaking any other laws and they’re performing and exercising their first amendment rights,” He added, “They have every right to be up on the boardwalk.”
One Facebook user said, “It’s an honest living so let her be, it’s not like she’s stripping completely in front of everyone.”
Another user countered, “That is appropriate in a bar or club for employees who are booked as dancers.”
What would you do if you saw this on YOUR favorite boardwalk? Weigh in on our Facebook page!
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten)
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Research Finds Homeowners Living Close To Starbucks Have Seen Property Values Skyrocket
- Report: Philadelphia In The Top 10 Cities For Property Crimes
- Report: Poor Road Conditions Cost Average NJ Driver Nearly $2,000 A Year
- Lower Merion Police Accused Of Racial Profiling After Stopping And Questioning Snow Shovelers
- Water Ice Oasis: Philadelphia-based Rita’s Expanding To The Middle East