NJ Man Accused Of Molesting Teen Girl While She Slept
TRENTON, NJ (CBS) – A southern New Jersey man pleaded guilty to charges that he molested a teenage girl while she was sleeping and distributed child pornography on the Internet, according to the Attorney General.
Fifty-five-year-old Bernard Cahill, of Gloucester Township, was initially arrested in April 2012 during “Operation Watchdog,” which targeted offenders who distributed images and video of child pornography online.
During an investigation, officials discovered sexually explicit images on his computer that he had taken of a 16-year-old girl.
Further investigation revealed that Cahill, who had access to the teenage girl’s room, touched her sexually while she slept and took pictures of her. Cahill allegedly began spying on the victim when she was just 13.
“Cahill malevolently used his access to the home of an innocent teenage girl to sexually assault her while she was asleep and utterly vulnerable to his depraved conduct,” said Acting Attorney General Hoffman. “We have ensured that this child predator will face a lengthy term behind bars, where he can’t harm other victims.”
A forensic review of his computer revealed 1,000 images and 300 videos of child pornography.
Cahill pleaded guilty to second degree charges of sexual assault and child pornography. Under the plea agreement, the state will recommend that Cahill be sentenced to 14 years in state prison. He will also be required to register as a sex offender and will be subject to parole supervision for life.
He will be sentenced on September 12.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Phila. Orchestra Patrons Join Musicians In A Sing-Along For Music Director’s Birthday
- Atlantic City Decides Not To Apply For $9 Million Grant; Prepares To Lay Off 50 Firefighters
- Casino Appeals Ruling Favoring Trumps In Name Lawsuit
- Reports: Attorney General Approves Prosecution of Sen. Menendez on Corruption Charges
- Dan Aykroyd Announces He’ll Donate To Fund For Slain Officer At Philadelphia Flower Show