NJ Man Accused Of Molesting Teen Girl While She Slept
TRENTON, NJ (CBS) – A southern New Jersey man pleaded guilty to charges that he molested a teenage girl while she was sleeping and distributed child pornography on the Internet, according to the Attorney General.
Fifty-five-year-old Bernard Cahill, of Gloucester Township, was initially arrested in April 2012 during “Operation Watchdog,” which targeted offenders who distributed images and video of child pornography online.
During an investigation, officials discovered sexually explicit images on his computer that he had taken of a 16-year-old girl.
Further investigation revealed that Cahill, who had access to the teenage girl’s room, touched her sexually while she slept and took pictures of her. Cahill allegedly began spying on the victim when she was just 13.
“Cahill malevolently used his access to the home of an innocent teenage girl to sexually assault her while she was asleep and utterly vulnerable to his depraved conduct,” said Acting Attorney General Hoffman. “We have ensured that this child predator will face a lengthy term behind bars, where he can’t harm other victims.”
A forensic review of his computer revealed 1,000 images and 300 videos of child pornography.
Cahill pleaded guilty to second degree charges of sexual assault and child pornography. Under the plea agreement, the state will recommend that Cahill be sentenced to 14 years in state prison. He will also be required to register as a sex offender and will be subject to parole supervision for life.
He will be sentenced on September 12.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Study Says Philadelphians Spend Nearly Three Days A Year Stuck In Traffic
- She Spent 10 Weeks In Liberia Fighting Ebola; A Philadelphia Doctor Shares Her Story Back Home
- As City Council Launches Budget Hearings, Nutter’s Tax Hike Plan For School Funding Appears On Life Support
- Study: Family Income And Parental Education Could Have An Impact On Child’s Brain Structure
- 1 Reportedly Dead In Darby Township House Fire