PHILADELPHIA (AP/CBS) — Slumping Anthony Recker hit a tiebreaking, three-run homer, Jonathon Niese pitched seven sharp innings and the New York Mets beat the Philadelphia Phillies 5-3 Monday.
Darin Ruf hit a two-run shot for the Phillies who were looking to avoid dropping their third game of the four game series.
Niese (6-8) gave up two runs on five hits to earn his first win since June 28. The lefty was 0-4 with a 6.04 ERA in his previous five starts.
David Buchanan (6-6) allowed three runs and four hits in six-plus innings.
Recker was in an 0-for-18 skid when he connected off reliever Justin De Fratus, who had retired 17 straight batters before allowing a single to the first batter he faced after replacing Buchanan in the seventh.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Braves Offense Comes Up Big As They Crush Phillies, 12-2
- NFL Picks Week 4: Vikings Remain Perfect While Jaguars Grab First Win
- CBS Sports’ Dan Fouts Talks Dolphins-Bengals On TNF, Bills-Pats Sunday
- On The Rise: Matthew Fitzpatrick And European Tour’s Next Generation
- 3-0 Eagles Now Have 10th Shortest Super Bowl Odds