By Justin Udo
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Philadelphia’s own Taney Dragons advanced to the Little League World Series Sunday by beating Delaware’s Newark National team 8-0.
Dragon’s pitcher Mo’ne Davis pitched a shutout, recording six strikeouts, and allowing just three hits. She becomes the first girl to make it to a World Series since 2004.
The Dragons, in only their second year of Little League play, had a 4-0 lead after the 1st inning and never looked back.
Fans gathered at Milkboy in Center City for a watch party and cheered every run scored and out made, never giving up hope for their team.
“I just want to root for the Taney Dragons, we’re a tiny league and we got so far, so I’m really proud of them,” this fan tells KYW Newsradio.
The Dragons will now play in the Little League World Series.
“I think they can make it far,” this fan says. “I think they can make it all the way. I’m pretty confident in them.”
Their first game is 3 p.m. this Friday. The team will not be returning to Philadelphia, instead they will be heading straight to Williamsport.
- Twitter Reacts To Super Bowl 50
- Temple And North Penn’s Brandon McManus Helps Broncos Win Super Bowl 50
- Denver Broncos Beat Carolina Panthers 24-10 To Win Super Bowl 50
- Top 10 Super Bowl 50 Commercials
- Broncos Defeat Panthers In Super Bowl 50, 24-10
- Coldplay, Bruno Mars & Beyonce Rock The Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Lady Gaga Offers Her Rendition Of The Star Spangled Banner At Super Bowl 50
- WATCH: Tailgate Fan Parties At Super Bowl 50
- Denver Broncos Kicker A Montco Native, Temple Owl, SB Champion
- Flyers Fall To Capitals 3-2