Philadelphia’s Taney Dragons Punch Ticket To LLWS
By Justin Udo
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Philadelphia’s own Taney Dragons advanced to the Little League World Series Sunday by beating Delaware’s Newark National team 8-0.
Dragon’s pitcher Mo’ne Davis pitched a shutout, recording six strikeouts, and allowing just three hits. She becomes the first girl to make it to a World Series since 2004.
The Dragons, in only their second year of Little League play, had a 4-0 lead after the 1st inning and never looked back.
Fans gathered at Milkboy in Center City for a watch party and cheered every run scored and out made, never giving up hope for their team.
“I just want to root for the Taney Dragons, we’re a tiny league and we got so far, so I’m really proud of them,” this fan tells KYW Newsradio.
The Dragons will now play in the Little League World Series.
“I think they can make it far,” this fan says. “I think they can make it all the way. I’m pretty confident in them.”
Their first game is 3 p.m. this Friday. The team will not be returning to Philadelphia, instead they will be heading straight to Williamsport.
- Sixers Send Jason Thompson To Warriors For Gerald Wallace
- Ben Revere Traded To Blue Jays
- WCU, Pennridge High Product Dylan Tice Adjusting To Pro Baseball
- Pre Game Playlist: The Side of Tamba Hali You Didn’t Know
- Hamels Says Goodbye: ‘Some Of The Best Memories I’ve Ever Had’
- Amaro: Hamels Among Philly’s Best Athletes Ever
- Top 5 Wildest Sports Callers Of The Week: July 27th-July 31st
- Sixers Agree To Terms With Richaun Holmes
- LeSean McCoy On His Party: ‘No Weird Orgy Thing’
- 2015 NFL Bold Predictions: Experts Predict League MVP, Super Bowl Champ And More