PennDOT To Begin Repairs On 4 Bridges Along Spring Garden Street
By Mark Abrams
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — PennDOT begins work Monday on repairs to four bridges along Spring Garden Street in Philadelphia.
The spans carry Spring Garden Street over the Schuylkill Expressway, Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, the Schuylkill River and the Schuylkill River Trail.
PennDOT’s Charles Metzger says Spring Garden Street will remain open from the Art Museum across the bridges, but there will be some restrictions.
“The center turn lane will be restricted throughout the project and then beginning in late August we’re going to make repairs to the Spring Garden Street on-ramp to I-76 west.”
He says that ramp will be closed until November so all motorists will have to use an alternate.
And, Metzger says, larger trucks also face detours.
“If they’re over 30 feet they have to follow a separate detour to get around that ramp and if you’re on 76 when you get off at Spring Garden Street, you also have to follow a separate detour when you get on Spring Garden Street.”
In addition to repairs, Metzger says crews will be covering sections of the bridges for sandblasting and a primer in preparation for a new coat of paint to be applied next spring.
The $6.6 million project is to be completed by next summer.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Pa. Has Its Own Religious Freedom Act, But It Differs From Indiana’s In Major Way
- Hostages Held Captive By Fellow Firefighter Describe Frightening Moments
- Officials: 4-Alarm Apartment Building Fire Displaces Residents In Trenton
- Weather: Warmer Temperatures Ahead
- Investigation Underway After Ship Runs Aground In The Delaware River