By Noel McLaren
BETHLEHEM, Pa., (CBS) — Musikfest has been striking up the bands for 31 years, growing into a musical main event, and attracting over a million visitors from across the country.
But as the festival grows in size, security concerns have also grown. Police have responded to two shootings in the last five days just blocks from Musikfest stages.
“It gets bigger every year and it gets crazier every year,” said Tony Liberto, in town for performances.
Bethlehem Mayor Robert Donchez vowed to amp up security to keep visitors safe.
“Recent incidents that have occurred downtown will not go unanswered,” he said.
Festival organizers echoed the mayor.
“We have our community police, our county emergency management department, state police we have the State, Lancaster and Bethlehem Police on horses throughout the community and even the presence of the FBI,” said Jeff Parks, president of ArtsQuest, the organization that runs Musikfest.
Crowds have yet to be deterred despite the violence, as the festival comes to a close at the end of the week.
You may also be interested in:
- Sarah Silverman At DNC: ‘To The Bernie Or Bust People, You’re Being Ridiculous’
- Mississippi Flag Removed From Avenue Of The States After Complaints
- Demi Lovato Gets Personal About Battle With Mental Illness At The Democratic Convention
- Thousands Without Power After Strong Storms Push Through Region
- Protesters Take To The Streets Despite The Heat