PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen has been diagnosed with blood clots in his lower right leg and in both lungs, the team announced in a statement. Timonen is currently being treated for this disorder back in his home country of Finland. His return to play is yet to be determined.
“He [Timonen] was as shocked as anybody,” Flyers General Manager Ron Hextall said Tuesday in a conference call. “I haven’t talked to him yet, I’ve reached out to him twice. He texted me. He seemed very frustrated, but I think we are happy for him and his three children that he’s doing fine.”
Timonen, 39, and the Flyers agreed to a one-year extension on June 13th.
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- Gordon Homers Leading Off As Marlins Mourn Fernandez
- 76ers Center Noel: Too Many Bigs On Team, ‘Just A Logjam’
- Eagles Fans Trying To Stay Composed As Team Continues To Exceed Expectations
- Post Snap With Malcolm Jenkins: ‘An Offense Will Find It Tough To Beat Us’
- Vice President Biden Tweets About Eagles: ‘It’s Our Year’