Philadelphia Principal Wins “Rising Star” Award
By Mike DeNardo
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – One of Philadelphia’s most prominent principals has another feather in his cap.
At first, Chris Lehmann didn’t believe he’d won the “Rising Star” award from the McGraw-Hill Financial Research Foundation.
“When they called me I thought I was getting a prank call from a friend!”
Lehmann is the founding principal of the eight-year-old Science Leadership Academy, a magnet high school in Center City, run in partnership with the Franklin Institute.
Lehmann says the inquiry-driven education and ethic of care at his school is only one example of Philly schools achieving.
“It is important to understand that great things are happening in our schools, SLA being but one story of that.”
The award comes with a $50,000 prize. Lehmann says he hasn’t even thought about what to do with the money.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Atlantic City-Bound Plane Diverted To Fort Lauderdale After Lightning Strike
- First Significant Storm Of The Season Bearing Down On The Region
- Second Day Of Demonstrations In Philadelphia Protesting Ferguson Grand Jury Decision
- Jersey Shore Preparing For Winter Storm
- City Council President Hands Out Holiday Turkeys To Needy Families