Police ID Man Killed In Officer-Involved Shooting In Winslow Township
WINSLOW TWP., N.J. (CBS) – Police and prosecutors in Camden County are investigating an incident that occurred Friday morning between police and a suspect that ended with a man dead.
The police-involved shooting took place as three Winslow officers responded to a trailer on the 400 block of New Freedom Road about 9 a.m. Friday.
Police say 42-year-old Daniel Pierre was shot and later died at Cooper Hospital around 9:30 a.m.
The officers were not injured in the incident.
Authorities say whenever a municipal police officer’s use of a firearm while on duty results in death, the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office oversees an investigation.
Meanwhile, a quiet community in Camden County was left shocked by the shooting.
“I was fishing with him Monday, he seemed fine then,” Will Smith said. “I’ll miss a friend.”
Friends tell CBS3 Pierre lived on the property in Winslow Township with his mother.
“He never started confrontation, he’s a nice guy, he has a good heart,” Chuck Crain said. “So does his mother, we just don’t know what happened.”
But according to a relative, Pierre had trouble with drugs in the past.
“He was in rehab a few times,” Carl Auwarter said.
Auwarter also says Pierre may have had a confrontation with his mother the night before the shooting.
Investigators are not releasing many details. It’s unclear why police were at the home to begin with and what prompted them to open fire.
“It’s tragic for his mother, it’s tragic,” Smith said.
CBS 3 reporter Jan Carabeo contributed to this report.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- One Man In Critical Condition After Southwest Philadelphia Shooting
- Teenage Girl Shot, Seriously Wounded While Sitting In Car
- AAA Mid-Atlantic: New Jersey gas prices rise again
- With $34 Billion Budget At Stake, Pension Plays Central Role
- New Jersey Nuclear Plant To Test Sirens Tuesday
- World’s Largest Rubber Duck To Be Featured At Tall Ships Festival
- Wildwood Police Send Message To Parents With Public Service Announcements
- 13 Year Old Girl Caught In Gunfire, Critically Injured
- NJ State Trooper Dies After Hitting A Deer In Monmouth County
- Food Bank Of South Jersey Celebrates Its 30th Anniversary