Police ID Man Killed In Officer-Involved Shooting In Winslow Township
WINSLOW TWP., N.J. (CBS) – Police and prosecutors in Camden County are investigating an incident that occurred Friday morning between police and a suspect that ended with a man dead.
The police-involved shooting took place as three Winslow officers responded to a trailer on the 400 block of New Freedom Road about 9 a.m. Friday.
Police say 42-year-old Daniel Pierre was shot and later died at Cooper Hospital around 9:30 a.m.
The officers were not injured in the incident.
Authorities say whenever a municipal police officer’s use of a firearm while on duty results in death, the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office oversees an investigation.
Meanwhile, a quiet community in Camden County was left shocked by the shooting.
“I was fishing with him Monday, he seemed fine then,” Will Smith said. “I’ll miss a friend.”
Friends tell CBS3 Pierre lived on the property in Winslow Township with his mother.
“He never started confrontation, he’s a nice guy, he has a good heart,” Chuck Crain said. “So does his mother, we just don’t know what happened.”
But according to a relative, Pierre had trouble with drugs in the past.
“He was in rehab a few times,” Carl Auwarter said.
Auwarter also says Pierre may have had a confrontation with his mother the night before the shooting.
Investigators are not releasing many details. It’s unclear why police were at the home to begin with and what prompted them to open fire.
“It’s tragic for his mother, it’s tragic,” Smith said.
CBS 3 reporter Jan Carabeo contributed to this report.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Funeral Director Charged After Officials Discover Several Decomposed Bodies During Investigation
- Wrestling Legend Charged With Third Degree Murder In Girlfriend’s 1983 Death
- Man Charged With Criminal Sexual Contact For Allegedly Touching Girl In Line At Amusement Park
- Mayors To Talk Government And Families Ahead Of Papal Visit
- Pilot Program Aiming To Get Long-Term Unemployed Back To Work Launches In Chester County
- Family Of Murdered Temple Student Vying For Meeting With Pope Francis
- Daycare Employees Face Charges For Running ‘Fight Club’ For Kids
- Company With Presence In Region Offers Private Flights To Cuba
- ‘Million Father March’ Set For First Day Of School In Philadelphia
- Focus On SW Philly Neighborhood In ‘No More Fire Deaths’ Campaign