WINSLOW TWP., N.J. (CBS) – Police and prosecutors in Camden County are investigating an incident that occurred Friday morning between police and a suspect that ended with a man dead.
The police-involved shooting took place as three Winslow officers responded to a trailer on the 400 block of New Freedom Road about 9 a.m. Friday.
Police say 42-year-old Daniel Pierre was shot and later died at Cooper Hospital around 9:30 a.m.
The officers were not injured in the incident.
Authorities say whenever a municipal police officer’s use of a firearm while on duty results in death, the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office oversees an investigation.
Meanwhile, a quiet community in Camden County was left shocked by the shooting.
“I was fishing with him Monday, he seemed fine then,” Will Smith said. “I’ll miss a friend.”
Friends tell CBS3 Pierre lived on the property in Winslow Township with his mother.
“He never started confrontation, he’s a nice guy, he has a good heart,” Chuck Crain said. “So does his mother, we just don’t know what happened.”
But according to a relative, Pierre had trouble with drugs in the past.
“He was in rehab a few times,” Carl Auwarter said.
Auwarter also says Pierre may have had a confrontation with his mother the night before the shooting.
Investigators are not releasing many details. It’s unclear why police were at the home to begin with and what prompted them to open fire.
“It’s tragic for his mother, it’s tragic,” Smith said.
CBS 3 reporter Jan Carabeo contributed to this report.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Crews Battle 4-Alarm Warehouse Fire In Frankford
- Philly Fans Give Everyone The Boos They Wanted
- Police: Teen Girl Viciously Attacks Worker Inside Chinese Restaurant
- Engineers Writing The Future Of Aviation In Philadelphia
- Man Pleads Guilty To Defecating On Side Of Road, Throwing Feces Into Woods
- Police Searching For Inmate Who Escaped From Mental Hospital Parking Lot
- Former Delaware Governor To Ride Cross Country For Charity
- Police: 4 People Shot In Delaware County
- Philly’s Oldest Energy Co-op Helps Cap Off Science Festival
- Ideas Meet Investors At Angel Venture Fair in Philadelphia