WINSLOW TWP., N.J. (CBS) – Police and prosecutors in Camden County are investigating an incident that occurred Friday morning between police and a suspect that ended with a man dead.
The police-involved shooting took place as three Winslow officers responded to a trailer on the 400 block of New Freedom Road about 9 a.m. Friday.
Police say 42-year-old Daniel Pierre was shot and later died at Cooper Hospital around 9:30 a.m.
The officers were not injured in the incident.
Authorities say whenever a municipal police officer’s use of a firearm while on duty results in death, the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office oversees an investigation.
Meanwhile, a quiet community in Camden County was left shocked by the shooting.
“I was fishing with him Monday, he seemed fine then,” Will Smith said. “I’ll miss a friend.”
Friends tell CBS3 Pierre lived on the property in Winslow Township with his mother.
“He never started confrontation, he’s a nice guy, he has a good heart,” Chuck Crain said. “So does his mother, we just don’t know what happened.”
But according to a relative, Pierre had trouble with drugs in the past.
“He was in rehab a few times,” Carl Auwarter said.
Auwarter also says Pierre may have had a confrontation with his mother the night before the shooting.
Investigators are not releasing many details. It’s unclear why police were at the home to begin with and what prompted them to open fire.
“It’s tragic for his mother, it’s tragic,” Smith said.
CBS 3 reporter Jan Carabeo contributed to this report.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Sources: John Kasich Dropping Out Of Presidential Race
- Some NJ Schools On Lockdown As Police Search For Escaped Prisoner
- Report: Prince’s Team Sought Addiction Doctor’s Help
- Powerball Jackpot Reaches $348 Million
- Police: Remains Identified As Missing New Jersey Man
- 4 Crying Babies Bought A Free Flight For JetBlue Passengers
- Police Investigating After Man’s Body Found Behind Home In Holmesburg
- Boy Wins $10,000 Reward For Finding Instagram Bug
- Fire Department: iPhone Burns Through A Dozen Notebook Pages
- Medical Errors May Be Third Leading Cause Of Death In The U.S.