Philadelphia Police Shoot, Kill Home Invasion Suspect In Northeast Philly
By Cleve Bryan, Andrew Kramer
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A Philadelphia Police officer shot and killed a home invasion suspect early Friday morning in the Northwood section of the city. A second suspect remains on the loose.
This happened around 12:45 a.m. on the 900 block of Wakeling Street.
Authorities say two armed men forced their way into a young couple’s home by gun point, which triggered an alarm.
When police arrived, one of the suspects answered the door to say everything was alright. After police asked for ID, the female resident of the home was sent to the door to make the cops go away. Instead, she was able to gesture to the officer that things were not okay.
“The officers asked her ‘is everything okay?’ She says ‘yes’ verbally but winks that all is not okay,” says Philadelphia Police Captain George Fuchs.” So the officer, being alert as he was, enters the foyer.”
The officer entered the home just as the male resident broke away from the other intruder and ran to the front door. The suspect chased him, only to be greeted by the officer. The suspect then shot at the officer multiple times, but failed to hit him.
“We believe he discharges three times toward the officer,” Fuchs says. “Thank God the officer was not struck. The officer himself, he fired from his gun multiple times and he discharged the male suspect.”
The one suspect was pronounced dead at the scene while the other suspect was able to escape through the back door. He remains at large.
Neither of the homeowners were hurt. One of the suspect’s guns has been recovered.
Police are continuing their investigation and checking area surveillance video for clues.
- Study: Diabetes Could Cause Signs Of Aging, Cognitive Decline In Brain
- Report Shows New Developments For Fighting C. Diff Infections
- Opening Statements Set For Today In Trial of Exterminator Charged With Killing Doctor in Her Center City Home
- Comcast Lays Out Steps To Improve Customer Service
- Vacant House Collapses Overnight In Philadelphia
- Triple Shooting In Philadelphia Leaves One Dead, Two Injured
- City Officials Proceed With Plans To Make Luxury Condos Out Of Camden Building Rated In Dangerous Condition
- Comcast Customers Can Live Stream Or Send Videos To The TV Screen With Xfinity Share
- Not Pleased With Mayor’s Budget, District Attorney Asks City Council For Funding Increase
- South Jersey Parents Fighting To Allow Child’s Treatment Be Given To Her At School