By Cleve Bryan, Andrew Kramer
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A Philadelphia Police officer shot and killed a home invasion suspect early Friday morning in the Northwood section of the city. A second suspect remains on the loose.
This happened around 12:45 a.m. on the 900 block of Wakeling Street.
Authorities say two armed men forced their way into a young couple’s home by gun point, which triggered an alarm.
When police arrived, one of the suspects answered the door to say everything was alright. After police asked for ID, the female resident of the home was sent to the door to make the cops go away. Instead, she was able to gesture to the officer that things were not okay.
“The officers asked her ‘is everything okay?’ She says ‘yes’ verbally but winks that all is not okay,” says Philadelphia Police Captain George Fuchs.” So the officer, being alert as he was, enters the foyer.”
The officer entered the home just as the male resident broke away from the other intruder and ran to the front door. The suspect chased him, only to be greeted by the officer. The suspect then shot at the officer multiple times, but failed to hit him.
“We believe he discharges three times toward the officer,” Fuchs says. “Thank God the officer was not struck. The officer himself, he fired from his gun multiple times and he discharged the male suspect.”
The one suspect was pronounced dead at the scene while the other suspect was able to escape through the back door. He remains at large.
Neither of the homeowners were hurt. One of the suspect’s guns has been recovered.
Police are continuing their investigation and checking area surveillance video for clues.
- DA Larry Krasner Drops Cash Bail For ‘Low-Level’ Crimes
- Republicans Mount Legal Challenges To Pennsylvania’s New Congressional Map
- Elementary School Students Compete In African-American History Bee
- Alleged Bot Purge Sparks Outrage From Conservative Twitter Users
- Local Leaders Remember Billy Graham Crusade In Philadelphia
- Dozens Of Students Stage Walkout At New Jersey High School To Raise Gun Violence Awareness
- Multi-Vehicle Accident Shuts Down Northbound Lanes On Northeast Extension For Several Hours
- Police: 3 Suspects Arrested, Charged In Murder Of 26-Year-Old Man
- Lawyer Accused Of Sexually Abusing Pet Dog
- Brotherly Love: Different Abilities, One Team At Downingtown Dominators