By Mike Dunn
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Mayor Nutter says his just-completed, six-day trip to France did not take him away from running the city.
Mayor Nutter went off to France with issues like school funding and the sale of PGW still unresolved, but he says it was not a bad time to travel abroad.
“They have these incredible new devices called a cell phone. They work internationally. I’ve stayed in touch with our team on the ground every day, as I always do,” he joked.
Nutter insists it was work, not play, that took him and wife, Lisa, to France — with bicycling and business development as the key goals.
“[The trip was] about improving our international standing with regard to our own bike race, which brings a tremendous amount of international attention to Philadelphia, to meet with [the CEO of] Saint-Gobain, and to promote and market the city to about 20-25 business people while I was there,” he explained.
He says he got to know the new mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo.
“I’ve invited her to Philadelphia. She asked me to invite President Obama to Paris, which I told her I would do. So I’m looking forward to a great partnership with her.”
Nutter also met with officials of Union Cycliste Internationale, which oversees international cycling,
and he’s hopeful those meetings could boost the chances that the city hosts a Women’s World Cup cycling event next year.
- ‘Made In Philadelphia’ Holiday Market Pops Up Outside City Hall
- A Piece Of The Battleship New Jersey Comes Home
- Renovations Under Way Along Avenue of the Arts
- Man Charged With Sexually Assaulting Boy He Met On ‘Grindr’ App
- Scientists Working On New Treatment For Patients With Chronic Itch Conditions
- West Chester Senior Living Facility That Went Up In Flames Previously Cited For Safety Violations
- Lehigh Valley Farm Providing White House With Thanksgiving Turkeys For Nearly 60 Years
- Philadelphia Sheriff Faces Sexual Harassment Complaints
- Police Searching For Group Of Teens Following 3 Attacks Near Temple University
- Peddler’s Village Kicks Off 33rd Annual Gingerbread Competition