1 Injured In Police-Involved Shooting In Southwest Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Chopper 3 over the scene of a police-involved shooting Wednesday in Southwest Philadelphia.
It happened around 5:20 p.m. at Elmwood and Island Avenues.
Philadelphia Police say officers were investigating a previously stolen motorcycle which the owner was attempting to purchase back from the alleged suspects.
Police say the officers then attempted to arrest the suspects who were in a red Ford. While the officers were apprehending the 30-year-old driver of the vehicle, police say the passenger moved to the driver seat and drove the vehicle in the direction of the officers, allegedly attempting to strike them.
At that time, police say, one officer discharged his weapon at the vehicle striking the passenger side window.
According to police, the driver continued driving, fleeing from the scene.
A short time later the vehicle was found at 56th and Wheeler, and a man located with a gunshot wound to the right arm.
Police say the 27-year-old man was positively identified by officers as the man who allegedly attempt to strike them with the vehicle.
He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania by medics and is in stable condition.
There were no injuries to police.
The incident is being investigated by Internal Affairs and will be reviewed by the District Attorney’s Office. The officer will be place on administrative duty pending the outcome of the investigation.
Must Read Today’s Top Stories
- Little League World Series Run Leads To Influx Of Players In The Taney Baseball League
- Camden, NJ Seeking Teens And Adults To Help Run Its Summer Recreational Programs
- Prize From Grammy Foundation Is Music To The Ears Of Students At South Philly Magnet School
- Report Says Facebook Meeting With News Companies About Hosting Their Content On The Social Network
- Local College Offers Students Classes Online Or In Person From Meeting-To-Meeting