PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Penn State football hasn’t had a five-star recruit commit since Christian Hackenberg in 2013 and only has two five-star recruits over the past ten years, until today.
Five-star defensive end, Shane Simmons, is a junior at DeMatha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Maryland. Simmons is ranked as the best player at his position and the 25th best overall player in the 2016 class, according to Rivals.
Simmons’ commitment, along with four-star running back Miles Sanders, has bumped James Franklin’s Nittany Lions 2016 class to the 10th best in the nation, per 247Sports.com. Franklin and PSU have the sixth best 2015 recruiting class, as well.
“Penn State just felt like the right [school] for me,” Simmons said when making the announcement at his high school on Wednesday. “I’m trying to win a championship here,” Simmons later added.
You can watch Simmons’ highlights here.
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- NFL Prematurely Promotes Patriots-Vikings Super Bowl LII Matchup
- Report: Autopsy Shows Roy Halladay Had Morphine In System At Time Of Death
- Bud Light Still Planning To Cover Beer Tab If Eagles Win Super Bowl
- For The Kendricks Family, It’s Brother Against Brother
- Eagles Injury Report: Birds In Good Health For NFC Championship Game