Merck Announces Another Round Of Layoffs
By Brad Segall
NORRISTOWN, Pa. (CBS) — A major pharmaceutical company is planning another round of layoffs that again will hit Montgomery County hard.
On the heels of more than 650 job cuts at its West Point manufacturing and research plant in late 2013 and earlier this year, Merck plans to let go another 600 employees by the end of August. The company has already filed notices with the Pennsylvania Department of Labor which says the jobs are being cut in North Wales and Lansdale. County Commissioner Josh Shapiro is disappointed with the news, but says they’re working to help those affected.
“Our workforce development team is already taking the steps necessary to help these individuals get the guidance they need given the decision that the Merck leadership has made,” Shapiro said.
He said that includes helping them with unemployment compensation, resume development, interviewing skills and a job search.
A Merck spokeswoman told a Wall Street Journal blog the layoffs involve primarily sales reps.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- No Rest For The Retailers!
- Philadelphia Police And FBI Searching For Alleged Serial Bank Robber
- Polluting Power Plants Closing At Record Numbers, Leaving Concerns About Adequate Energy Supply
- Christmas Day Fire Destroys Mobile Home, Kills 6 Pets In Toms River
- Police Investigating After Vehicle Reportedly Hits Levittown House