Merck Announces Another Round Of Layoffs
By Brad Segall
NORRISTOWN, Pa. (CBS) — A major pharmaceutical company is planning another round of layoffs that again will hit Montgomery County hard.
On the heels of more than 650 job cuts at its West Point manufacturing and research plant in late 2013 and earlier this year, Merck plans to let go another 600 employees by the end of August. The company has already filed notices with the Pennsylvania Department of Labor which says the jobs are being cut in North Wales and Lansdale. County Commissioner Josh Shapiro is disappointed with the news, but says they’re working to help those affected.
“Our workforce development team is already taking the steps necessary to help these individuals get the guidance they need given the decision that the Merck leadership has made,” Shapiro said.
He said that includes helping them with unemployment compensation, resume development, interviewing skills and a job search.
A Merck spokeswoman told a Wall Street Journal blog the layoffs involve primarily sales reps.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Project To Get Black Men To The Voting Booth, Through The Barber Shop, Gets Knight Funding
- City Transit Picture During Papal Visit Getting Clearer
- Acquitted Officers Sue Mayor, District Attorney And Police Commissioner, Claiming Defamation
- Temple Hospital Releases Final Patient Hurt In Deadly Train Derailment
- Lost Dr. Seuss Tale Hits The Shelves Tuesday