Community Holds Vigil To Honor Victims Of Fatal Delco Double Shooting
By Dan Wing
RIDLEY TWP., PA (CBS) – A community in mourning held a vigil Sunday evening for a woman and her son who were shot Saturday in Crum Lynne, Delaware County.
Police say the boy’s father pulled the trigger, but why remains un-answered. The young boy was killed and the mother is in critical condition. Neighbors gathered to help each other through the tragedy — one that Mary believes will be felt for a while:
“After shocks are yet to come, you know. It’s like an earthquake.”
Approaching the scene where five-year old Cion Styles was shot and killed, the silence among the group of neighbors gathered was deafening. Exchanging hugs and embraces as they came and went, some offered up prayers, while others lit candles and dropped off teddy bears, flowers and a basketball with the letters “RIP” written on it.
Ebony Smith organized the vigil and says she saw everything after hearing the gunshots Saturday:
“It had to be at least 25 little ones there. It could’ve been worse, but it wasn’t. Sorry that we lost this little one here, but it could’ve been a lot worse.”
Smith says she didn’t know the young victim or his mother, who remains hospitalized. Still, she says, the community is trying to help in any way possible:
“We want to show them that we do care, and we support them, and we’ve got them in our prayers. That’s all we can do.”
Authorities say 26-year old Tyrell Styles led them on a brief chase after shooting his son and the boy’s mother, then turned the gun on himself.
- Need For Organ And Tissue Donors
- Philadelphia Eagles Hosted First Flight Market At The Linc
- High School Basketball Player Killed In Drive-By Shooting
- Firefighters Battle 2-Alarm Blaze In Norristown
- 3 Dead In Motel Room In Double Homicide-Suicide
- Leader Of False Unemployment Claims Scheme Gets Prison Term
- Weather Blog: Sogging Up
- A Celebration Of Life At The 20th Annual Donor Dash
- VP Joe Biden Plans Second Visit To Philly This Year
- Man Dies From Fatal Shooting In West Philadelphia