Community Holds Vigil To Honor Victims Of Fatal Delco Double Shooting
By Dan Wing
RIDLEY TWP., PA (CBS) – A community in mourning held a vigil Sunday evening for a woman and her son who were shot Saturday in Crum Lynne, Delaware County.
Police say the boy’s father pulled the trigger, but why remains un-answered. The young boy was killed and the mother is in critical condition. Neighbors gathered to help each other through the tragedy — one that Mary believes will be felt for a while:
“After shocks are yet to come, you know. It’s like an earthquake.”
Approaching the scene where five-year old Cion Styles was shot and killed, the silence among the group of neighbors gathered was deafening. Exchanging hugs and embraces as they came and went, some offered up prayers, while others lit candles and dropped off teddy bears, flowers and a basketball with the letters “RIP” written on it.
Ebony Smith organized the vigil and says she saw everything after hearing the gunshots Saturday:
“It had to be at least 25 little ones there. It could’ve been worse, but it wasn’t. Sorry that we lost this little one here, but it could’ve been a lot worse.”
Smith says she didn’t know the young victim or his mother, who remains hospitalized. Still, she says, the community is trying to help in any way possible:
“We want to show them that we do care, and we support them, and we’ve got them in our prayers. That’s all we can do.”
Authorities say 26-year old Tyrell Styles led them on a brief chase after shooting his son and the boy’s mother, then turned the gun on himself.
- All Lanes Reopen On Roosevelt Boulevard Following Water Main Break
- Weather Blog: Strengthening El Nino…
- Police: Man Fatally Shot In Kensington
- Two State Agencies Partner To Improve Notifications To Sex Crimes Victims
- Women Due To Give Birth During Papal Visit Frustrated With Lack Of Information
- I-TEAM: New Jersey To Outfit All Troopers With Body Cameras
- New Jersey Community Using Fish To Curb Mosquito Problem
- Cops: 2-State Chase Began Over Warrant For Stolen Underwear
- Philadelphia Police Seek Public’s Help In Finding Bank Robbery Suspect
- Chester County Shopping Center Getting Major Makeover