NEW YORK (AP/CBS) — Travis d’Arnaud went 3 for 4 with a three-run homer, Bartolo Colon made his second straight strong start, and the Mets crushed the Phillies 7-1 on Monday night.
The Mets were able to get to A.J. Burnett early in Monday night’s game. Burnett pitched five innings and gave up seven earned runs. The Mets scored four runs off Burnett in the first inning.
D’Arnaud hit one of three doubles for the Mets as they took a 4-0 lead in the first. Then the catcher’s seventh home run of the season broke the game open in the fifth.
The 41-year-old Colon (10-8) retired the first 20 batters in his last outing Wednesday against Seattle, eventually allowing two runs on three hits in 7 1-3 innings in a 3-2 win. He wasn’t as dominant Monday. But staked to a big lead, he was never in much trouble either, scattering 10 hits over 7 2-3 innings.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Funeral Home Offers Flyers Fans Condolences After Playoff Elimination
- Super Bowl Champion Eagles ‘Discussing’ Visit To White House
- Joel Embiid Visits Delaware County Church, Makes A New Best Friend
- Raiders Sign CB Daryl Worley A Week After Arrest In Philadelphia
- Flyers Eliminated From Playoffs After Losing Game 6