Cole Hamels Dominates Giants As Phillies Win 2-1
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Cole Hamels pitched eight strong innings and Chase Utley had an RBI single to lift the Philadelphia Phillies to a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.
Hamels (5-5) got the better of Tim Hudson in a matchup between starters who have combined for seven All-Star appearances. The Philadelphia left-hander gave up six hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
Hudson (8-7) gave up two runs in six innings although both were unearned. The right-hander struck out six and walked two.
The Giants, who were looking for their first four-game sweep in Philadelphia since 1998, lost for just the second time in eight games. San Francisco’s lead over the idle Dodgers in the NL West dropped to 1 1/2 games entering this weekend’s three-game series between the rivals at AT&T Park.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Howard Scores Career-High 18, Penn Beats Dartmouth 58-51
- Carter-Williams Leads Sixers Past Timberwolves 103-94
- Keidel: Perfect Confluence Of Timing, Talent, History For Mayweather
- 76ers Host Thad Young And The Timberwolves Tonight
- Philly Soccer Show: Union Rookie Wants To Play As Team Prepares For 2015 Campaign