By Tony Hanson
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — After nearly two months of trial, jury deliberations are now underway in a federal ticket-fixing case.
Prosecutors allege six former Philadelphia traffic court judges on trial fixed tickets, or as it was known gave “consideration”, to the well connected, including family and friends.
But the judges have pleaded not guilty. The defense, which has blamed the system and acknowledged some mistakes may have been made, adamantly maintains there was no conspiracy to cheat the city and this isn’t a federal case.
According to the defense, some tickets in question were dismissed or reduced for cause because they were faulty, that what the government describes as “consideration” was actually discretion. The jury deliberated briefly this afternoon after hearing the end of closing arguments by attorneys and legal instructions from the judge.
Jury deliberations resume in the morning.
Must Read Today’s Top Stories
- The World Is Running Out Of Antibiotics, WHO Says
- Rowan U Drinking Water Cleared Of Dangerous Lead Levels Thanks To Filters
- Philadelphia Looks To Land Deal For Amazon’s Second Headquarters
- Thousands Expected For 17th Annual Recovery Walk In Philadelphia
- NTSB Issues Preliminary Report Following 69th Street Terminal Crash