EMMAUS, Pa. (AP) — Authorities say that two young men are dead in eastern Pennsylvania after being struck by a freight train while crossing railroad tracks.
Lehigh County Coroner Scott Grim says his office is working to identify the two victims in Monday’s accident in suburban Allentown. It happened around 3:30 p.m. Autopsies have been scheduled for Tuesday.
Pennsylvania State Police are investigating.
Norfolk Southern says the eastbound train involved was a mixed-freight train weighing 4,837 tons on its way to Allentown. The track speed there is 40 mph, although Norfolk Southern spokesman Dave Pidgeon says he doesn’t know how fast the train was going.
He says the two crew members on board were uninjured, and directed other questions to police.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
You may also be interested in:
- Montco Mom Starts Yoga Class For People With Disabilities
- Police Believe 4-Year-Old Girl Died After Accidentally Shooting Herself
- Folcroft Lockdown Keeps Residents Inside As SWAT Members Capture Suspect
- HP Recalls Thousands Of Laptop Batteries Due To Fire Hazard
- Police Charge Man In Crash That Killed Burlco Teacher, Passenger