By Kim Glovas
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Palestinian and Israeli supporters clashed in Center City Philadelphia in peaceful but very vocal counter-demonstrations today.
About 300 Pro-Palestinian demonstrators gathered outside the Israeli Consulate at 19th and JFK Boulevard, across the street, 100 Pro-Israelis. Both sides chanted and waved signs at each other. Pro-Israeli Steve Feldman defended Israel’s military moves, including the deaths of children on the beach.
“The Israelis warned the population that they were going to be having a military operation. They asked them to keep the area clear, they did not,” Feldman said.
Betsy Piette, supports the Palestinian community.
“These children live there! It is an area smaller than the city of Philadelphia, you have to go out, children play!” Piette said.
The Pro-Palestinians want the U.S. to stop funding the Israeli military attacks. The Pro-Israelis say Israel has a right to defend itself.
Must Read Today’s Top Stories
- Barnes Art Museum Looks To Build On Successful Move
- An Immigrant Group In Philadelphia Gives Back To Those In Need
- Few Problems, Worries For Travelers Returning Home After Holiday Weekend
- Five Firefighters Injured After Ladder Crashes In West Philadelphia
- Pennsylvania Senate Sends House Legislation To Regulate Ride-Sharing Services