PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The Phillies will emerge from the MLB All-Star Break on Friday night as they open a weekend series in Atlanta against the Braves.
RHP A.J. Burnett is expected to get the start in the series opener.
The Phillies are 42-53 and in last place in National League East. They sit ten games out of first. While they had a few high moments, for the most part the first 95 games of the season were plagued by inconsistency, specifically when it came to scoring runs.
With the team, as it is built now, going nowhere, the focus for the next couple of weeks will be the July 31st non-waiver trade deadline. Several names are rumored to be on the block with much of the speculation centering on Burnett, OF Marlon Byrd, LHP Antonio Bastardo, RHP Jonathan Papelbon and RHP Kyle Kendrick.
KYW’s Matt Leon spoke with Kevin Cooney of the Bucks County Courier Times about what the future holds for the Phils.
You can follow Matt on Twitter @mattleonkyw.
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- Raffl Scores Late, Flyers Beat Oilers For 7th Straight Win
- Preview: Joel Embiid Vs. Anthony Davis
- Brandon Brooks Ranked Among NFL’s Top 25 O-Lineman
- NFL Picks Week 14: Giants End Cowboys’ Streak And Chiefs Seize Control Of AFC West
- Esiason: Wentz Just ‘Going Through Natural Progression’ Of Learning NFL QB