CHESTER, Pa. (AP) — Conor Casey scored in the 9th minute and added an assist as the Philadelphia Union ended a 7-game, home-winless streak by beating the New York Red Bulls 3-1 on Wednesday night.
Casey controlled a cross by Andrew Wenger at the top of the 18-yard box, froze rookie defender Matt Miazga, and rolled a ball to the far post. He added an assist for Philadelphia (5-8-7) in the 51st minute when he touched a cross to Fred, who slid it past goalkeeper Luis Robles.
New York (5-6-8) got one back when Bradley Wright-Phillips took Thierry Henry’s pass and curved in a goal in the 60th minute.
Philadelphia’s Sebastien Le Toux converted a penalty kick in the 69th minute. Eric Alexander was whistled for bringing down Maurice Edu inside the penalty area on a corner kick.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- Ozuna, Yelich Go Deep, Marlins Beat Phils 7-4 For Sweep
- Eagles Ready To Face Dolphins In Preseason Play
- Ichiro, Stanton Go Deep, Marlins Beat Phils 12-8 In Game 1
- 94WIP Fantasy Football Draft Results
- Philadelphia To Host 4 Of Next 5 Army-Navy Football Games