By Tim Jimenez
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — There were watch parties all across the region for the World Cup Final between Germany and Argentina, including one in Northeast Philadelphia where there was only one team to root for.
The black, red and gold of Germany filled The Cannstatter Club on Academy Road. Proud of their heritage, this was the place to be for these fans, in particular Hanne, celebrating a big day.
“I made another year. I’m 85 today, so I’m happy,” she said.
So, Hanne’s only request for her 85th birthday was going out to watch Germany and Argentina in the World Cup. Her son says they were expecting to throw a larger party, but mom wanted to keep it low key this year and enjoy the sport she loves.
“Well, I used to play soccer when I was younger, in Germany, in school.”
It’s a birthday her way, with her son, daughter-in-law, neighbor and niece, in town from Germany.
“She wants to watch with me, too. She came for my birthday, but one condition was to see the game!” Hanne said.
Hanne had her wine, her family by her side, and her son says he’ll save the big party for her 90th.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- SEPTA Moves Forward With Audible Warning System For Buses
- Brotherly Love: Concert For And By Disabled Young People
- 3 City Council Members Say ‘No’ To Soda Tax During Protest Outside City Hall
- Cosby Tries Again To Delay Criminal Case, Get Sexual Assault Charges Tossed
- John Kasich Officially Drops Out Of Republican Presidential Race