10th Grade History Teacher Writes Trilogy Of Novels
By John Ostapkovich
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Inner city kids need positive role models. So says a high school history teacher who’s mounted an unusual outreach.
Daniel Blanchard says he tries hard to engage his 10th graders in history with the stories of Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr. He also tries to motivate them with the value of hard work, perseverance and going the extra mile.
“I always tried to, like, inspire my students through my lessons in history and then I always tried to lead by example, and I guess it’s working. My students do seem to be inspired and they tell me I’m the most inspirational teacher they’ve ever had, and I guess they do inspire me back.”
So Blanchard wrote the Granddaddy’s Secrets trilogy, kind of codifying the same things he’d been telling the students in coming-of-age stories following a young man whose grandfather slips into an out of his life long enough to impart the Gospel of the Winner.
For more information, visit: http://granddaddyssecrets.com/
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Local Police Department Designates Safe Zones For Completing Online Purchases
- New Memorial at South Philly Cheesesteak Shop Honoring Fallen Heroes
- A Shorter Route This Year For Philadelphia Bikers on ‘Toys For Tots’ Run
- Philly Upping Hate Crime Law After Alleged Attack On Same-Sex Couple
- New Jersey Hospitals Earn Top Marks For Safety