Phillies Complete The Sweep, Beat Brewers 9-1
Buy Phillies Tickets
MILWAUKEE (AP) — Jimmy Rollins broke up Matt Garza’s no-hit bid with a single in the seventh before sparking a seven-run outburst an inning later, helping the Philadelphia Phillies complete a four-game sweep of the Milwaukee Brewers with a 9-1 win Thursday.
Rollins greeted reliever Will Smith in the eighth by singling to left to drive home two runs. Garza (6-6) had just been pulled from the game to a standing ovation but could only watch helplessly from the dugout as his shutout evaporated.
The Phillies sent 12 batters to the plate in the eighth and got RBI ground-rule doubles from Ryan Howard and Cody Asche. Philadelphia swept a four-game series for the first time since taking four in Cincinnati in 2011.
Rookie David Buchanan (5-5) struck out five in seven innings.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- The Center Of Attention: The Offensive Line ‘Is Getting Better Each Week’
- Philly’s 94WIP, Dallas’ The Fan Square Off During Live Simulcast
- 5 Approaches To Eating Dinner And Watching Eagles Vs. Cowboys On Thanksgiving
- College Football Spotlight: A Time To Be Thankful For Rivalries
- Temple Hosts Cincinnati Saturday In Home Finale