MILWAUKEE (AP) — Jimmy Rollins broke up Matt Garza’s no-hit bid with a single in the seventh before sparking a seven-run outburst an inning later, helping the Philadelphia Phillies complete a four-game sweep of the Milwaukee Brewers with a 9-1 win Thursday.
Rollins greeted reliever Will Smith in the eighth by singling to left to drive home two runs. Garza (6-6) had just been pulled from the game to a standing ovation but could only watch helplessly from the dugout as his shutout evaporated.
The Phillies sent 12 batters to the plate in the eighth and got RBI ground-rule doubles from Ryan Howard and Cody Asche. Philadelphia swept a four-game series for the first time since taking four in Cincinnati in 2011.
Rookie David Buchanan (5-5) struck out five in seven innings.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- For The Kendricks Family, It’s Brother Against Brother
- Bud Light Still Planning To Cover Beer Tab If Eagles Win Super Bowl
- ‘Eagles Bagels Flying Off The Shelves’: Bakeries Showcasing Eagles-Inspired Treats
- Report: Autopsy Shows Roy Halladay Had Morphine In System At Time Of Death
- SportsLine’s Top Weekend Picks: NFL Championship Match-Ups