Weather: Severe Thunderstorms Will Impact The Area Tuesday Night
By Kate Bilo
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Severe thunderstorms will impact the area tonight, delivering a combination threat of severe wind gusts in excess of 60mph, very heavy localized downpours, and frequent cloud-to-ground lightning. The most robust risk will be from the western suburbs into Philadelphia between 8-9pm. While the storms may lose a little strength as they cross the river, all of New Jersey needs to be on alert as well, mainly after 9pm.
The storms are coming courtesy of a strong cold front, enhanced by a potent jet stream – and with temperatures in the 90’s across the area, the storms have plenty of heat and moisture to work with. If you plan to be out and about tonight, find an indoor location if you see the clouds roll in. Storms will hit fast and furious, and if you can hear thunder, you can be struck by lightning.
Tomorrow is another hot day, with a high of 90, meaning it’s day 3 in the 90’s for another heat wave! Nicer weather returns through the end of the week though, as we head back to the 80’s Thursday and Friday, and the weekend starts off nice with upper 80’s and sunshine on Saturday.
One glimpse into the future – next week looks cool for the time of year, with temperatures in spots looking 5-10 degrees below average by midweek. Maybe something to look forward to!
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Magee Rehabilitation Hospital Receives $300K Grant For Spinal Cord Injury Medical Home
- Philadelphia City Employees Recognized For Going Above And Beyond
- Medical Marijuana In PA: Less If, More How
- Law Requiring Owners Of Large Office Buildings To Track Energy Usage Expanded To Include Larger Apartment Buildings
- After Supreme Court Ruled Tour Guides Must Be Licensed, Some In Philly Took A Proactive Approach