By Dan Wing
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A federal judge has granted preliminary approval to a deal that would compensate former NFL players for concussion-related claims.
As KYW’s Dan Wing reports, there will be no limit on the amount of money they can be paid.
Last month the NFL removed it’s $675-million cap on damages to make sure there would be enough money to pay all claims, and as co-lead counsel for the players Chris Seeger tells KYW Newsradio, approval means that thousands of former players can finally get the care they need.
“It provides immediate cash payments to the sickest retired football players. Those are players that have dementia, ALS, Parkinson’s, some of the more serious diseases that are related to concussions,” Seeger said.
More than 4,500 former players have filed suit against the NFL, accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions.
Seeger is calling it an extraordinary settlement.
“What it means for the players I represent, and everyone in the class, is that the sickest players are going to get help quickly. Which is what they need. Players like Kevin Turner, who have ALS, he’s in pretty bad shape today, and his condition has deteriorated,” Seeger said.
Turner is one of 332 former Eagles’ players that are involved in the suit. The agreement still needs to be formally approved, but it’s still being called a massive victory for the more than 4,500 players that have filed suit.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Police: Officer Dorman Likely Released From Hospital Monday
- Woman Fatally Shot In Chest With Crossbow In Northeast Philly
- Taxpayer Group Says Fattah Should Lose Pension
- Weekend Box Office Report: Dory Stays Afloat
- Community Meeting Over Water Quality Concerns Could Lead To Lawsuits