By Suzanne Monaghan
NORWOOD, Pa., (CBS) — A Norwood, Delaware County boy got a very special gift on his 10th birthday — the gift of life. The family is hoping their story will encourage other families to consider organ donation.
Last August, Susan Lamey’s son, Noah, got sick with what they thought was a bad stomach virus, but the diagnosis turned out to be much more serious.
“All I heard was heart failure, and the rest of that, I heard nothing else,” Noah’s mother said.
Noah was diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy and would need a heart transplant.
“It was the worst day of my life,” she said.
Noah’s condition was treated with medication while his mother carried her phone by her side for several months waiting for the call.
“The phone rang. And I’m thinking who’s calling on Noah’s birthday on the golf course. Who could this possibly be?” she said.
It was the hospital and they had a heart for Noah. That was June 7 and just two weeks later, Noah got to go home. So what’s he looking forward to most?
“Getting back to doing all my sports and just getting back to a normal life,” Noah said.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- New Study Finds South Jersey Not Receiving Fair Share Of State Funds On Various Fronts
- Patti Smith Stands In For No-Show Bob Dylan At Nobel Ceremony
- Thousands Get In Holiday Spirit With Annual Santa Run
- Wilmington Firefighter Honored As Hero At Memorial Service
- Pet Pictures With Santa Benefits Local Animal Rescue Shelter